The lean method is all about ensuring that products move faster through processes. The Six Sigma methodology ensures that the quality and efficiency of the goods being manufactured also improves. Thus, a combination of the two as Lean Six Sigma can bring out key transformations and improve the efficiency of goods and services being provided.
There are certain basic things such as data authenticity, effective logistics, reduction in cycle times and so on that makes the Lean Six Sigma initiative bring new efficiency and quality to companies.
- Data authenticity: The data that goes into Lean Six Sigma improvement projects should be highly authentic. You need to make some arduous efforts to collect genuine data and bring about effective improvements in process and products.
- Managing performance: Lean Six Sigma implementation projects require a team If a team were strained with the personal egos of individual team members, it would become quite difficult to achieve the desired results in time. The project manager should continuously try to motivate team members to contribute their efforts towards the achievement of common goals and objectives.
- Production system: Lean emphasizes the sequential production system, rather than using the shop scheduling technique. The sequential technique is very effective in manufacturing only those amounts that are required by the next process – and only when they are required. It effectively helps reduce waste to a large extent, as well as eliminating the sources causing waste. This technique is useful not only for big organizations but shows good results for small and medium-sized businesses as well.
- Effective logistics: The Lean Six Sigma system helps develop an effective logistics system that aims at reducing inventory carrying costs and waste. This helps the continuous flow of raw materials to finished goods from one process to another.
- Cycle time management: Lean Six Sigma methodologies stress reducing long cycle times, which are a reflection of inefficient manufacturing processes and excessive non-value-added costs. The focus is on eliminating the root cause of extended cycle times, rather than devising short-term solutions.
- Linear production system: Lean Six Sigma training helps develop a production model such that the production happens as and when the demand exists for the product. It should be flexible so that the production can be decreased or increased according to seasonal variations, without affecting the quality of the end product.
- Timely decision: To make the most of what the market has to offer, manufacturing firms need to be proactive in making essential strategic decisions, such as when to downsize and when to start recruiting. A timely decision is one of the main factors that make the difference between a lost opportunity and increased profitability. Lean Six Sigma is beneficial because it helps in making timely business decisions.
These features of Lean Six Sigma methodology help bring in efficiency and quality to all companies, small and large alike and help them to reach their desired goals.